Sunday, July 12, 2009

Rainy Sunday Walkabout

So, despite the gloomy weather, I decided to have a bit of a walk around the city today. I took the bus from my place in Newtown to the Queen Victoria Building where, after a nice hot chocolate, I walked through the shops the historical building had to offer. After realizing I couldn't afford any of the high end retail, I wandered across the street to a book shop where I sat down with a couple of books on walking Sydney. I bought the best one I could find and started my day long adventure.

I decided, as I was already at the start point, that I would do the Darling Harbour to the Sydney Opera House walk. I walked down to the harbour from the QVB and crossed the Anzac Bridge and walked down along the water front from Darling Harbour through to the Rocks, underneath the Harbour Bridge, along Circular Quay and to the Opera House. I debated whether to keep going up to the Botanical Gardens but realized that all the bats would be about and opted out of that one.

After completing this hour long walk, I contemplated catching a bus back to my room but decided it was way too early to call it a day and continued my little walk about. As I was making my way up through the city, a woman approached me asking for directions to the Opera House. The fact that I could give her the correct directions with street names and all made me feel like a real Australian! I suppose that means that I am settling in quite nicely and am starting to learn my way about this massive city.

After finding my way in another shopping center- its like my body has a GPS for shopping centers- I went and had a Middle Eastern lunch (and sat all by myself). After my delicious meal I decided to call it a day and started wandering up George St. to catch the bus to take me back to uni. Well, despite being dropped off there, I could not find the correct bus stop! I decided to keep walking 2 blocks further up hoping to find it. Well, 5 blocks later I was thinking I would have to catch a taxi home but, then, in front of the UTS building (half way home), I found the bus stop!

I've decided that every Sunday I will do one of Sydney's Best Harbour & Coastal Walks (according to the Sydney Morning Herald). Because the gym is closed on Sundays and I need to keep up the physical fitness with all this yummy food around, I figured it'd be a great way to see and learn the city while keeping in shape! (I'm so good at multi-tasking!)

Well I miss everyone! Becca arrives on Friday morning so we are sure to have a fab time! I can't wait for Adam and everyone to arrive! I've already created a list of all the things I want to do while I'm here so I'm sure we'll knock a couple of things off the list with all the visitors!

Hugs, Kisses and great Sydney walks!
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment