Thursday, July 30, 2009

Canberra, Wine Tasting, Opera Houses, Harbour Bridges Oh My!







Hello Hello!

I know it has been a while since my last blog but, with the family and friends here it has been hard to keep up!

So Bex arrived on the 17th and it has been a whirlwind ever since! We decided that we'd get out of the city and head to Canberra, the capital of ACT (Australian Capital Territory). Well, although this is supposed to be a city and a capital, it was nothing more than a sleepy town with a few large buildings and great museums! After being somewhat shocked by the lack of activity and slow country lifestyle this city had to offer, Becca and I spent the day wandering the Parliament building, the National Archives Museum, and the National Portrait Gallery. While getting our exercise in for the day with all the walking, we picked up some fun facts as well from our enthusiastic Parliament tour guide like: Why are the Emu and Kangaroo on the Nation's Government seal? (Because their kneecaps are "backs-to-front"- they are only able to walk forward and Australia is a forward moving country.)

After wandering about the Parliament building and grounds, we made are way down to the National Archives to gather some family history. After learning about our great grandfather, Adam McAlister and his heroic war accomplishments, we walked to the National Portrait Gallery where I saw the Vanity Fair exhibit.

We realized that we had done everything there was to do in Canberra in one full day and jumped on a bus to Sydney the first thing Monday morning. Good thing we made it back in one piece because I think it is safe to say our bus driver was still drunk from the night before. Becca and I thought we were gonners a few times on that 4 hour bus ride home and wanted to kiss the ground as soon as we jumped off but the Central Bus Station is not the cleanest place in the world.

We spent the rest of the day with rels and did a nice coastal walk with Brian along the cliffs that afternoon where we got to watch jumping whales just off the shore!
Adam arrived on Wednesday morning with a friend and we immediately went to play with Jordy and Layla. After a quick game of checkers between Adam and Jordy (Jordy loves to play checkers 'cause he thinks he's pretty sly when it comes to cheating but, he's really not!), we took the train into Circular Quay with Shelley and the kids.

Wine tasting was the following morning. After the scenic ride up through the mountains and into the Hunter Valley we arrived at our first two wineries where we all got a little knackered! We had lunch, went to the Smelly Cheese shop, continued onto our 3rd winery and called it a day just in time to see the rainbow over the mountains!

The rest of the week was comprised of family outings and dinner plans. Let me just tell you, none of us were deprived of food! Becca and I had to walk everywhere everyday just to have the possibility of fitting into our pants the next day! (So glad I bought that gym pass!)

Bex and Adam have since left- Becca arrived in LA on Monday and Adam is currently skiing in New Zealand (or at least I hope he is- he has yet to contact me).

I started school on Monday and have loved every day since! I went on a pub crawl Monday night and am not disappointed with the Sydney night life! Work is still going well and I have to try to contain myself because I am constantly wanting to order clothes! Hopefully that itch will be scratched soon as the new lines are coming in and the old ones will be ready for ordering!

I had a bit of an accident yesterday at the gym which is pretty funny! I was running on the treadmill and obviously not paying attention to my feet when I ate it and fell in front of the morning gym rats. I wish someone had videotaped it as Im sure i could win some money on America's Funniest Home Videos for it! I wasn' hurt badly unless a broken finger and some cut knees count for anything?

Dad arrives on Tuesday and Im sure we will be taking some road trips during his stay!

I will try to keep in touch more frequently! Love and miss everyone! lots of hugs and kisses to all.

Pub Crawls, Treadmill Falls, and Veggie Pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment